Bringing about a digital transformation in the workplace is usually incorrectly judged according to the technology it uses. We forget about the one factor that is absolutely essential to achieve it – the businesses talent. More often than not, companies are not prepared for a digital transformation. Employees have not been trained to be in a digital environment. Digital skills are no longer about knowing how to use basic Microsoft programmes like Word and Excel. With the fast-paced digital world and 4.0 revolution upon us, it’s now about knowing how to work with robots and machines in our everyday activities.
The good news is that the foundation of tech skills that are needed are not difficult to learn.
So how do you solve this problem? What skills are needed for employees to succeed in a digitally transformed environment?
- How tech-savvy are your employees? Can they adopt new technologies easily?
- Do your employees have a basic understanding of how to interpret stats?
- Machines are starting to take over from everyday manual tasks, but in an increasingly digital age, connections remain linked to human beings. That’s why it is extremely important to have interpersonal skills. New recruits could have similar technical abilities but the empathy factor is what will be the differentiator. In today’s world, teamwork is extremely important and people need interpersonal skills for this.
- Creativity. With digitisation, comes innovation. If there are not creative minds in your environment, innovation will be low. How do you achieve this? Allow employees to feel comfortable and confident. Let them express their ideas and realise their full potential.
- What’s happening out in the marketplace? Not just in your industry or with your competitors, but what is happening globally? This is something all employees should know in this fast-paced environment which is changing every day.
- Adapting and keeping up-to-speed in a fast-paced environment. With the speed that the environment changes, it means we need dynamic people who can adapt to change easily.
- In this fast-paced, erratic environment, we also need to be able to make decisions quickly before the relevance is lost. If a company is slow at reacting, you will never be relevant and everyone wants to be a thought-leader in their space, right?
- The world is constantly reinventing itself so the way we structure our organisations needs to. Outdated structures no longer apply in an adaptable, fast-paced, digital environment. People are always connected and always on-the-go. It’s up to the individual to take on their own responsibilities and know what is expected of them.
- You have to constantly be learning. If not, you will be left behind. The days of having a degree that would last you your career are now over. The average person should be doing over 2 hours of learning every day.
- Lastly, put your client/customer first. If you run a business that does not listen to its clients, it will not do well – observe, listen and learn. Bring in the interpersonal skills by understanding what your client needs. Learn about your client so that you can provide the best support and understanding of their needs. See the potential and put it to work.
So, there you have it. 10 easy steps on how to transform your digital work environment. If you would like an in-depth analysis of how to create a digitised environment, we will analyse your current status, give you feedback and help you transform your environment because, at the end of the day, we transcend helping businesses access the skills needing to grow.